Gone are the days of ‘metal mouth,’ and hiding your smile because of the braces in your mouth. Today, we have Invisalign, a revolutionary type of orthodontic treatment that has become incredibly popular with adults.
Why would adults need braces?
It is estimated that one in three adults will end up needing braces at some point during their adult life. One of the most common reason adults may require braces is because although they wore braces as a child, they were not faithful about wearing their retainers after their braces were removed. Not wearing retainers after orthodontic treatment was completed resulted in their teeth shifting, requiring further treatment to realign their teeth.
The unfortunate truth is that teeth normally shift over time. All braces can straighten these crooked teeth, however, Invisalign can do all this while remaining virtually invisible during your treatment.
Questions you might have about Invisalign braces
If you are unfamiliar with Invisalign treatment, here are some of the most frequently asked questions:
1. Are Invisalign braces as effective as traditional braces?
Yes! When Invisalign braces are worn as recommended by an Orthodontist with experience using Invisalign, the treatment can be just as effective at correcting the most common teeth-straightening issues as traditional braces. Invisalign treats over and under bites, gaps between teeth, and overcrowding. These clear aligners can effectively treat mild to severe cases, resulting in straight, beautiful teeth and an attractive smile.
2. What happens if an aligner gets lost?
Replacement aligners are available. Contact your Orthodontist right away in order to get your replacement quickly so your treatment can remain on schedule.
3. How often will I have to visit the Orthodontist?
After the initial appointments, follow-up appointments are usually needed every ten to twelve weeks.
4. How long does Invisalign treatment take?
Treatment time for Invisalign is usually about the same as for traditional braces, but the actual time depends on the severity of the problem and is unique to each individual. Consult with your Orthodontist about your personal time requirements.
The many advantages of Invisalign braces
One of the main reasons that adults in Spokane Valley and Cheney choose Invisalign clear aligners is that they are virtually invisible and easily removable. While it is important that you wear your aligners daily, the Invisalign braces can be removed for short periods of time if necessary. Eating, dental hygiene, and photos are the main reasons patients normally remove their aligners.
Other benefits include:
- Improved appearance and more self-confidence when smiling.
- Improved oral health with properly aligned teeth.
- Oral hygiene with Invisalign is unchanged as you can remove your aligner for brushing and flossing.
- No restrictions on the foods you enjoy as there are no brackets or wires to break.
- Fewer orthodontic appointments are required as most follow-ups are every 10 to 12 weeks.
- The smooth plastic aligners are less likely to irritate your cheeks and gums.
- No emergency appointments for broken brackets or pokey wires.
At DaBell Orthodontics in Spokane Valley and Cheney, we have had great success in creating beautiful, straight smiles for our adult patients who have chosen Invisalign for their Orthodontic treatment. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for an evaluation to see if Invisalign is the right treatment for you.
Want to learn more about Invisalign? Visit our Invisalign section under the Services menu or start by clicking here.